The Legendary Peter Twist – Dose of Durkin
“In this Dose of Durkin, I shared a message from a friend & colleague Pete Twist. He is a pioneer, a force of nature, he truly is a legend, and a man who has survived stage 4 cancer of the head and neck. Take a look at this weeks Dose of Durkin and let me know what your are going to do this week to live a life worth telling a story about!”
Introducing – Peter Twist
From a background as a competitive athlete and NHL strength and conditioning coach, Peter Twist has become a world leader in sport conditioning and athlete development.
Sport science researcher, published author, educator, business entrepreneur, CEO, motivational speaker, leadership and team building, cancer crusher, and outdoor recreationalist – today Peter Twist’s path is predicated on creating new methods, new content, and new business models all of which is shared with trainers, coaches, active adults and directly to the businesses who service those demographics.
An exercise physiologist with a Masters in Coaching Science, he coached full-time in the NHL for 11 years and along with his own camps and consulting in several countries has worked with over 700 professional athletes including four major league MVP’s from three sports. Twist Conditioning operates six Sport Conditioning Centers where all ages and abilities engage in athlete training. A passionate educator, Twist has published over 400 papers, 10 books, and 23 DVDs on athlete development. Twist has authored several Certifications on sport conditioning and is IMG’s Global Education Partner for their IGNITE sport performance brand.
He was honoured with the 2001 National Strength and Conditioning Association’s President’s Award, the 2003 CanFitPro Specialty Presenter of the Year, the 2010 IDEA Program Director of the Year, CanFitPro’s 2012 Canadian Presenter of the Year, and the 2013 IDEA World Fitness Inspiration award. Twist lives with his daughters Zoe and Mackenzie in North Vancouver British Columbia making the rainforest and mountains his home and his preferred environment for sport and recreation.
Peter Twist’s Philosophy
A healthy lifestyle is a critical component of my corporate success and a foundation of my daily routine. At 6 am I arrive into the Twist Sport Conditioning Centre to workout alongside the active adult clients who train with Twist coaches to feed their competitive spirit, diverse recreational pursuits and fast paced lifestyles. My workout is based on the Twist training paradigm and focuses on whole body, multi-joint lifting integrated with dynamic movement and variable balance challenges. The exercises have been created to challenge both the body’s hard drive (muscles, heart, lungs) and software (brain and nervous system that commands the muscles) to build Smart Muscle™.
My favourite tools include the SMART Toner™, SMART Balance Board™, TRX™, BOSU®, Twist ABS Stability Ball, Olympic bars and plates – my body and mind is my machine. The tempo is high and the results phenomenal as I am now at 45 arguably in the best shape of my life. My workout done, I go back home to have breakfast with my two daughters, ensure they walk to school and head back to the office for the day.
After work I enjoy a trail run in the rainforest to soak up some of the best scenery in Canada. This is an environment that challenges my physicality, feeds my spirit and gives tremendous energy. My most invigorating routine is a power hike up a steep mountain ascent, then, with my dogs ready, we race down the mountain faster than a mountain biker, essentially skiing off the ground, jumping from contact to contact point straight down the mountain. Exhilarating, and sets the tone for how to attack life in general. I also take many of my adult clients and young athletes out of the SCC and into the mountains to hike, mountain bike, ski and snowshoe, where they see the results of their training in real life application and continue to make the positive link between exercise and enjoyment in activities they love.
Much of my business and personal life today has been influenced by my parents who dedicated time and love to our whole family. My father was an active hockey coach in our community and was instrumental in my success as an elite hockey player allowing me to play at the Jr. A and Varsity level at two major Canadian universities. My mother supported everything that I pursued and encouraged me with every step of my youth into adulthood. The values and ethics that lead my business and personal life stem from such a solid family life.
When I entered post graduate study in university, my goal was to become a hockey coach but with my interest in fitness and kinesiology I made the natural shift to a conditioning coach position to help individual players improve. In a time when professional athletes simply played the game, proposing additional sport specific conditioning seemed ludicrous. Securing a job with the Vancouver Canucks professional hockey organization gave me the opportunities to train world class athletes and develop a distinct training style that was directly related to the demands of the game and, as opposed to primary goals of health or appearance, my mandate was to improve athletic performance. With constant retooling, the Twist sport conditioning paradigm that is taught world wide focuses on developing the secondary components of fitness including balance, speed, agility, quickness, multi joint strength, neuromuscular reactivity, deceleration, movement patterning, power and anaerobic energetics. Concepts that came from the sport of hockey, have now been transferred into training athletes of all sports, ages and abilities because the focus is on developing “athleticism”. I have programmed this into level appropriate functional exercise for young kids, aging boomers, rehab applications, school curriculums and active adults who get inspired by the opportunity to perform better in their worlds, gaining self efficacy, enjoyment and a positive connection to exercise.
As a proud member of the local Vancouver business community, I work hard to connect to my community and improve the lives of those around me. I am an active member of the BC Chamber of Commerce, North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce, Vancouver Board of Trade and the World Entrepreneur’s Organization. Twist Conditioning is a proud sponsor of the North Vancouver Minor Hockey Association, the BCHL, the BC Breakers, North Shore Female Ice Hockey, White Rock Christian Academy Basketball, North Shore Sports Awards, various local high school sports teams and we provide opportunities for local high school and university students with co-op work placements. We sponsor young athletes in financial need who themselves are making a positive impact in their communities. Giving back to local charities is also a fundamental part of our family philosophy as we support the Canucks Place Children’s Hospice, Greater Vancouver Foodbank, Purolator Fight for Hunger, Vancouver Literacy Foundation, Big Brothers Silent Auction, BC Cancer Foundation, MPS Cup, Collingwood Private School Gala, GoodLife Kids Foundation, sponsor children with World Vision Canada and donate and deliver food and toys to young families in need around Christmas. Each franchised Twist Sport Conditioning Center has similar grassroots involvements in their communities.
I would like to personally thank you for visiting the Twist team at our website and encourage you to visit us regularly to improve your sport conditioning knowledge and expertise so that you can experience the benefits of our Smart Muscle™ training style for yourself and in turn impact athletes of all ages. Together we can help them “discover the athlete within”, and ensure people of all ages know how to ramp up in life and be their best. Our adult clients do not speak about what their body cannot do because of age – they speak about what they can do – proudly boasting about the physicality and movement skills they do have with increasing age, gaining confidence and growing from the rich experiences their body can carry them through. They then demonstrate the human potential to young kids and role model the exercise, nutrition, lifestyle and attitude their kids will adopt to become their best. Our clients and customers are positive drivers in their families and their communities, live full and fulfilling lives by nature of their own choices and actions. This community of like minded people connects, shares, learns and inspires at Twist Conditioning. Join us!
Peter Twist’s Resumé
- 11 years veteran NHL Conditioning Coach and Exercise Physiologist for the Vancouver Canucks (Stanley Cup finalists 1994)
- President and CEO of Twist Conditioning Incorporated (www.twistconditioning.com)
- Former President of the Hockey Conditioning Coaches Association.
- Former NSCA provincial director for British Columbia
- Head Strength & Conditioning Coach University of British Columbia 1990-93 (UBC athletics was ranked #1 in Canada 91/92)
- Associate Director of Recreation UBC 1988-90
- Coeditor of the Journal of Hockey Conditioning and Player Development (1993-98) with Lorne Goldenberg.
- Author of Complete Hockey Conditioning book (1996, Human Kinetics Publishers)
- Co-author of The Physiology of Ice Hockey book (1992, UBC Press) with Dr. Ted Rhodes.
- Author of 4 chapters in High Performance Sport Conditioning book (2001, Human Kinetics Publishers), editor Bill Foren.
- Co-author of Functional Training chapter for Can-Fit-Pro Certification (2005) with Mo Hagen.
- Co-author of Strength Ball Training book (2002, Human Kinetics Publishers) with Lorne Goldenberg.
- Twist has published over 400 papers on sport-specific conditioning for industry publications in Canada, USA, Australia and the UK.
- Authored 8 BOSU DVD’s on Sport-Specific Conditioning (golf, football, basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, tennis, skiing) with Douglas and Candice Brooks. Authored 3 hockey-specific videos for the NSCA.
- Co-authored 5 Sport Conditioning DVD’s (2005) with Andrew Clark.
- Co-authored 4 Sport Conditioning Competitive Edge DVD’s (2007) with Andrew Clark & Nicole Lark
- Coauthored Strength Ball 2 Book (Human Kinetics Publishers 2006) with Lorne Goldenberg.
- Co-authored Strength Ball DVD (Human Kinetics Publishers 2006) with Lorne Goldenberg.
- Authored Complete Hockey Conditioning 2 (Human Kinetic Publishers 2006).
- Authored Complete Hockey Conditioning DVD (Human Kinetics 2006).
- Co-author of Twist Conditioning Inc. Sport Movement (Level 1 + 2) , Sport Strength (Level 1 + 2) , and Sport Balance (Level 1) certifications, delivered to coaches, trainers, teachers and medical professionals across Canada, USA, Australia and the UK.
- Headline presenter at major North American sport and fitness conferences: Can-Fit-Pro, ECA, IDEA, NSCA, SWIS plus conferences in Japan, Australia, Spain and UK.
- Delivery of specialty workshops for physiotherapists, chiropractors, coaches, trainers, school PD Days and athletes.
- McMaster University BPE first class honors
- University of BC Masters of Coaching Science (specialization in exercise physiology and sport psychology), MSc first class honors
- National Strength & Conditioning Association – Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Can-Fit-Pro – Personal Trainer Specialist (PTS)
- Twist was the 2008 recipient of the Business Excellence Award- Business Person of the Year
- Consultant for EA Sports (Electronic Arts) sport action video games.
- Fitness and sport consultant for made for TV skiing oriented movie (Tori Spelling had role of injured skier rehabilitating for return-to-competion)
- Hockey Testing and Strength and Conditioning consultant for Making The Cut, a reality TV docudrama (2004).
- Twist was the 1998 recipient of the National Strength and Conditioning Association’s President’s Award given annually to a North American coach for his contributions to the NSCA’s efforts at sport-fitness education and athlete development.
- Awarded Can-Fit-Pro’s 2003 Specialty Presenter of the Year Award for Twist’s sport conditioning paradigm.
- Nominated for ECA’s International Presenter of the Year Award (ceremony in New York in March 2004)Twist has coached over 700 professional athletes, including Hakeem Olajuwon, Mark Messier, Pavel Bure, Markus Naslund, Trevor Linden, Mike Peca, Alexander Mogilny, Mattias Ohlund, Bryan McCabe, Arturs Irbe, Bill Randford, Tim Hunter, Ed Jovonovski and Justin Morneau.
- Trained Markus Naslund, Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin in Ornskolsvik, Sweden (2001, 2002)
- Twist Conditioning currently trains athletes from: rugby, football, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, skiing, snowboarding, motor cycle racing, skateboarding, mountain biking, basketball, hockey, rowing, netball, golf, ringette, tennis, adventure racing, snow shoeing, triathlons, ping pong, squash, motocross along with the Canadian National Women’s Soccer Team.
- Pro athlete experience includes:
- pre-draft scouting evaluations
- draft day activities
- running post-draft rookie camps
- running on-ice practices and on-field SAQ conditioning for rugby, soccer, football and on court drills for basketball and tennis.
- off-season programs and in-season workouts
- physiological assessments at main camp
- post-game workouts
- road trip workouts
- injury rehabilitation and re-conditioning
- diet assessments and nutrition consulting
- sport psychology (visualization, mental rehearsal, goal setting),
- team building activities
- screening player’s improvement potential for potential drafting
- working with minor league teams and drafted players
- a run to game 7 of the NHL Stanley Cup finals are part of Twist’s pro experience.
- From newly drafted players, to players returning from serious injury, to veteran players positioning for additional career years, Twist knows the challenges elite players face – and the solutions.
- Twist developed North America’s only coach and trainer certification for sport-specific conditioning with an emphasis on speed, agility, quickness, balance, reaction skills whole body closed kinetic chain strength, and movement skills.
- Twist successfully opened their first franchised Twist Sport Conditioning Centre in Burlington, Ontario in 2007. In 2008 Twist opened franchise locations in Whitby, and Ottawa.
- Today Twist Conditioning Inc. has 4 main divisions: Products (retail and wholesale); Education (books, articles, lectures, certifications, conferences); Training (programs and camps), Franchises (Twist Sport Conditioning Centre) and employs over 30 full time and part time staff. Twist Conditioning Inc. is owned and operated by Peter Twist.